Serta’s Shelley Huff
What Shelley Huff’s Day 1 email signals for Serta Simmons
By YSN Staff
Earlier this month, onetime Walmart exec Shelley Huff took the reins of Serta Simmons Bedding (SSB) as CEO from the retiring David Swift.
Her first order of business included a companywide email which expressed her Day 1 thoughts on the marketplace and the organization. The open letter, shared by SSB, provides some insight into Huff’s management style and her agenda for the mattress maker going forward.
I woke up this morning with optimism and excitement for the chapter ahead of us at Serta Simmons Bedding.
When I joined SSB a year and a half ago, I was inspired by our enviable 150-year history of building the best mattresses in North America, and by our team’s commitment to ensuring our legacy extends to the next 150 years and beyond.
As you all know, our industry is changing. Consumers no longer think of the mattress as a commodity but rather as a key investment and fundamental part of their sleep and wellness journey. This shift provides us with new opportunities to reshape our business to meet the needs of sleepers across all life stages.
I firmly believe we are the best positioned sleep company to meet consumers’ evolving needs. Here’s why:
- First and foremost, we have the vision. SSB will become the trusted authority on sleep.
- We also have the mission. We have an unrelenting focus on helping consumers sleep better and live healthier lives.
- We have the partners. Throughout our company’s history, we have provided world-class service to our retail customers and have worked with them to chart the future of our collective businesses. We have established trusted relationships with thousands of retailers. These relationships are more important now than ever, and I can say with confidence that our retail partners are not only supportive of, but invested in, our mission.
- We have the drive. The past few years have been uncertain for all of us. Yet, despite the challenges brought about by the global pandemic, we have emerged stronger than ever as one team. This is because of your unwavering commitment to introduce consumer-centric innovations, build resiliency in our supply chain and serve our retail partners.
- We have the direction. We know what we need to do to realize our vision. We will introduce differentiated product innovations. We will operate with excellence. We will continue to strengthen the resiliency of our supply chain. We will fully maximize our portfolio of trusted brands. We will enhance the way we engage with consumers. And we will work with our retail partners to provide omni-channel solutions that reach consumers where they are.
This is a bold undertaking, and I am confident we can make it happen. We are at a critical point in our journey and each of us has an important role to play. We have proven we are a team with a relentless focus on consumers who seeks continuous improvement. We are a team with the courage to try new things to unlock growth. We are a team who takes care of each other. As we look to the future, we will foster a culture that is people-first, collaborative and ensures each and every one of us is empowered to grow our business.
In closing, as many of you know, I am a big sports fan. I have long valued what sports teaches us about leadership, triumph and defeat. The greatest athletes have one thing in common; they constantly aspire to be the best version of themselves and, more importantly, enable and motivate their teammates to do the same.
I want to share one of my favorite quotes from John Wooden, the legendary basketball coach. This is a quote that I had on my wall as a little girl growing up in Tucson, Arizona, and is one that I’ve harkened back to throughout my career: “Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.”
Let’s become our best. We have a lot of exciting work ahead of us and I am honored to be on this journey with you.